Thursday 21 March 2013

The second feast: bodies

I approached this theme with confidence which quickly turned to trepidation which quickly turned to excitement.
I love writing about bodies. It's one of my favourite most fertile muses. It's infused with desire. Physical curiosity. But not necessarily sexual.
A delight, a craving for details. To seek and explore.
Angles, shapes, curves.....
It's very natural, very visceral, very intense.

But then I realised.... The point of feasts of fancy, what I want to get out of it is to explore NEW ways of writing. I always write about bodies in this way. So I should try to expand my limited field of inspiration.

I'd always wanted to write a haunting and intense country style ballad. Like Liz Stringer .... Beautiful and fearlessly intense. And I thought, maybe now is the chance.

I suddenly caught this idea ..... How a body part can represent a person. Or capture a moment, or a story, or a life. I had this idea of a list of body parts and what they mean to different people.
What if someone went around noticing people's body parts, and what they represent. And in their mind they collect them.
How beautiful and intense and haunting could it be if that collector was a gravedigger, who walks through this labrynth of rotting flesh, noticing a clutching hand, a curved arm, a swollen leg, seeking eyes, a warm belly...

That way I could try something different. Write about something familiar in a different way. In the frame of a style I've always wanted to try.
So I started 'the gravedigger's collection'.

No comments:

Post a Comment