Wednesday 21 August 2013

On Greek Mythology

What was meant to be a brief comment on Greek Mythology which turned into a number of torrential tangents.

On living creatively

I want to expand my ambit of inspiration. seek new sources, new means. new muses.
I think I am in a perennial (just found out that perennial has two 'n's and only one 'r' - i thought it was the other way around. English is cheeky) pursuit of living a creative life. living as creatively as I can.
I just want to be surrounded by creativity... this ubiquitous and omnigenous force.
I want it to be so foundational, so inherent, to influence every element of my life.

I think I seek a state of.... comfortable creation. I don't feel exactly happy with the way I expressed that. Because I don't want 'comfortable' to indicate that it is not challenging. or dynamic. I dont want it to sound ... lazy. easy. mediocre.
What I mean by creating comfortably is... my desire to create does not conflict with anything else. it is unhindered. and active. that inspiration is closer, and ... redolent... and prominent. Accessible.

Anyway, this is all ancillary discussion. What I want to talk about is something new in my "creative development" (I always wince a little when I say that)

On Greek Mythology

On one of my many capricious solo roadtrips south earlier this year, I found an Encyclopedia of Classical Mythology, tucked in this tiny op shop.
I think I am drawn to old stories. they have a certain ... quality to them. maybe its a physical thing. maybe they are really... bare and exposed.
Maybe it is why I like antiques. there is some inherent quality. it is rich and redolent. something about age, something about time.
It almost feels... religious. ritualistic. you know that feeling of being in an old church. It is religious. not in a constructed way. in a glorious renaissance painting of a naked woman eating fruit kind of way.

it's interesting to see... values, concepts, that transcend time in a historical context. I think there is a contrast there, it produces interesting light and shade.

Greek Mythology is... so big. there is nothing meek or mild or mediocre about it. Nothing is held back, nothing is reserved. Actually, no... I dont think it is about NOT reserving, I dont think they had a concept of holding back, a concept of humility, a concept of what should be said, what should be done.
it was all very instinctual, very physical, very visceral.
maybe because it was earlier society, less social construction, a less developed a less constructed idea of morals.

Rage was apoplectic. passions were usurping.
and unhindered pleasure was celebrated.

It is such fertile and faithful inspiration.

I am drawn to things that be to their capacity. and Greek Mythology has an unapologetic capacity.

So I have been reading through these amazing stories and myths, and writing poems about the characters or situations I am drawn to. Like... Eos, the goddess of dawn, who is doomed to desire, and carries people she falls in love with away on a winged chariot. Who wouldn't want to invoke that, for a moment, for the time and space of a poem?

On seeking new inspirations

And it has been great inspiration for me. A totally new experience too.
Writing is very visceral for me. very solopsistic. I write for my own truths.
And I always thought I would lose so much if I sought to write with any other purpose. That it would be somehow diluted.
But I have really enjoyed writing with a new purpose. Writing to seek someone else's truth. Or maybe... to explore that truth in myself. To let it come out to play.

On everything being relative (thanks Soph)

I like that what I thought inspiration was is in flux. I like to think my sources, my muses are expanding.
At one point in my life, a few years ago, I was very frightened by the idea that I was not entirely aware and certain about every part of me. I knew exactly who I was thankyou very much. I was completely developed and there was no uncertainty in me. For some reason uncertainty about myself felt like weakness. Felt like I was somehow less than complete, less than whole. 

That was a long time ago, but something Soph said to me a few weeks ago made me think of it again. She said: ‘We are relative’.
Heraclitus says ‘verything is in flux, the way up is the way down’
Sal Kimber says ‘gotta move like a rollin’ wheel. Gotta trust in that rollin’ wheel.’
(that’s a nice friend-philosphy-folk farrago of quotes)

Anyway, further tangential torrents. Basically, Being in flux, having things evolve and swell within me and around me... it does not scare me anymore. It is very exciting, on a deep foundational life kind of way. I love that how much I have to learn overwhelms me. And I don’t think it means that I am any less than whole. I think there is wholeness in seeking wholeness. I can be whole in my seeking of myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment