Thursday 6 June 2013

Riverside ghost

I don't know how I got here
But here I will always walk
A riverside, a muddy bed
A ghost for company

It's always evening here 
Along the riverside 
The sun almost sets on the almost horizon 
And here I always walk

Tripping on gumnuts and wayward stones 
I tumble down the riverbank 
Hitting branches along the way 
They bruise my arms they scratch my face 

And I am tumbling down
Stumbling tumbling down
To the muddy bed of the river 
Stumbling tumbling down 

Sinking, mired into the mud 
It seeps around my ears
Above me, my taunting ghost
Looking down at me, looking up at her

There's mud on my hands
So paint it across my face 
And bend deep into my knees
To rise up again 

I scramble up that riverbank
Clutching at tree roots i climb 
My body is heavy, my bones they groan 
My ghost throws her head back and laughs 

I chase that ghost along the river 
And that ghost, that ghost she flees
She laughs with derision, she laughs with mirth
And so I push her down 

My ghost be tumbling down
Stumbling tumbling down
To the muddy bed of the river
My ghost be tumbling down 

The rocks don't bruise her translucent skin 
The branches don't tear at her face
The dense muddy waters don't pull her down 
Plunge, lunge, rise again 

I've turned my back from this scene 
Turned my head to walk away
But she follows me down that riverside 
For like the sun, she never sets

My feet they cannot run no more
But my heart is stronger yet
So I stand my ground on that riverside
And push my lover down

Maybe sometime not so soon
I walk while the sun still sets
She'll find me, and reach out her hand 
And I'll push her down again 

And that ghost, she tumbles down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment